If you are a regular here at Excel, then you may have seen some of our content about learning plans.
Some of our greatest hits include ‘How To Create A Highly Effective Learning And Development Plan’ and ‘The 5 Key Components of an Effective L&D Plan’.
…and of course, who could forget the classic ‘5 Signs That Your Business Needs a New Learning Plan’?
All worth checking out after this one!
Today, we are adding to this learning plan playlist by answering a question which for some may seem rather tricky to answer.
Similar to questions like ‘Where does wind begin?’ and ‘Why does a penguin’s flippers not freeze?’
The question we will be answering though is… What actually is a learning plan?
Here’s our definition for you.
A learning and development plan is your proposal of action as to how you will approach people development so that you achieve your business goals. It’s where people and business come together.
An L&D plan outlines and describes the following:
Why is learning and development required, what are the business goals you need to deliver?
- Take time to define your current and desired states, and determine the crucial business goals that need to be achieved.
Who requires development?
- Analyse the skill gaps you need to close in order to achieve your business goals.
What development do they need?
- Explore what development opportunities would provide the most benefit for individuals, teams, and the business as a whole.
When will the development need to take place?
- Begin to map out the development journey and determine opportune periods to invest time in certain development topics.
How will the training and learning be delivered?
- Take stock of what you already have available to you internally and investigate areas that would benefit from external expertise.
Where will it take place?
- Decide whether these learning experiences will be in-person, virtual, or potentially even a mixture of both.
Once completed, your L&D plan is your roadmap from where you find yourself, team, and business now, to where you desire to be at the conclusion of the timescale you have set out.
As a natural next step from this point, we highly recommend taking a look at ‘How To Create A Highly Effective Learning And Development Plan’.
It is our comprehensive guide, written to ensure that you have a learning plan that will deliver the success that you, your people, teams, and business crave!
We also have a super helpful downloadable checklist here!
Alex & The Excel Team
P.S. If you would like to discuss any of your learning & development challenges for 2022, call us on +44(0) 1628488 854.
About Excel Communications
Excel Communications is a learning and development consultancy based near London in the U.K. For more than 30 years; we have been collaborating with clients across the globe. Partnering with Excel empowers you to evolve your people and business by fuelling a love for learning. We work with you to create unforgettably, customised learning experiences to achieve your vision of success and growth, with tangible results. View our case studies here. We have a team of expert trainers delivering programmes across five continents in multiple languages. Call us now on +44 (0) 1628 488 854.
If you would like to watch our leadership masterclass recordings, you can access the latest leadership complimentary guide here.